Tuesday 29 July 2014

Writing

I've written about writing before, the catharsis it offers. In my opinion, at least in my case, few things have provided me with a vent in a way writing has. I am not necessarily prolific, poetic or profound. My words do not necessarily impact people as maybe those from the well known. The joy of writing is my own, for an inherent soul nourishment, than as an attempt to please. I've learnt things about myself from writing that I would have never thought. It has unfurled aspects of me that would have otherwise been entangled and ignored. I am not good enough to make it my career, I would count myself blessed if I could manage that. Just a few words on paper or screen is enough to make me feel satisfied. In great moments of crisis scribbling something out has given me a greater clarity than meditating on it. Counting the number of I's that has been written before can give an understanding as to how personal this is for me.


It is with considerable anguish that I then add as to how stale the art of writing has become around me. I've always wanted to see things with a fresh new insight, I never thought that writing which had been a second nature to me needed a second look. I have grown to neglect it and as such I must bear the brunt of the shame. As with any skill, writing is manifest as much with practice as with inner talent. The best of writers are known to write, write and then rewrite. The true literary masterpiece is one which ends up satisfying oneself more, than the intended audience. I've of late grown easily satisfied, which will obviously not do. Writing has been there for me when I was indeed vulnerable, to forgo it in moments of leisure smacks of great ingratitude. To all my fellow writers great and small, I may not be in a position to advise you as I myself have failed, but know this, as you favour writing so shall it favour you. Write about things that may never matter, those things would matter to you in a way you'd have never thought. Writing is our voice which needs to be heard, especially in today's din.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
~Ernest Hemingway 

No comments:

Post a Comment